Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome, Neighbors!

We have new neighbors and I wanted to welcome them with a handmade gift.
oven mitt and pot holder (front)
I made an oven mitt and a pot holder. 

My goal was to use materials I already had in my stash. I made the oven mitt first with fabric I had pre-cut for an oven mitt long ago; it was just waiting to be used! It's amazing what you find when you clean out and organize your sewing room!

Then I found fabric scraps to make a matching pot holder.
fabric selection for a pot holder

The pot holder went well until I was ready to add the binding. I chose a green-colored fabric but wasn't thrilled with it. Thankfully, I made a "good" mistake. I sewed the binding on wrong--a single layer instead of folded. Oops!
mistake on pot holder
I removed it and decided to bind with a yellow fabric instead. Much better!
pot holder with binding

The quilting is random and includes a few zigzag stitches--another "happy" mistake. I didn't realize the machine was set at a zigzag stitch when I started to quilt so rather than take out the stitches, I just went with it. I like it.

I enjoyed making this set. It was another quick and simple project. Both pieces were inspired by Denyse Schmidt.

oven mitt and pot holder (back)
The back of the oven mitt.



No comments:

Post a Comment