Thursday, August 16, 2012

Oh My Sewing Stars!

Over the last month I've had the opportunity to meet two ladies whose work I really admire. They are stars in the sewing world: Meg McElwee and Anna Maria Horner!

Meg McElwee creator of Sew Liberated
At the time, I didn't know it, but she was in Denver filming a course at Craftsy, "Sewing With Knits", and then stopped by Fancy Tiger to do a meet & greet. What a sweet gal and it was so neat to find out we are both Craftsy instructors. Yay!

I first found Meg when she added her apron, the Emmeline, to a blog that had a monthly pool of handmade aprons. I fell in love with the cute style and was so excited she was selling a pattern for it. That was 4 years ago--I was already teaching at Fancy Tiger--and we quickly decided to offer it as a class. Meg has since expanded her patterns and her latest pattern is the Ashland Dress--she is wearing it in the photo above. It's a unique design because it offers sizes 2-20 AND cup sizes A-D! I can't wait to make the Ashland!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Anna Maria Horner creator of, well, Anna Maria Horner!
Anna paid a visit to Colorful Colorado to talk about her wonderful company and share her amazing talents! She also got to show off her latest fabric line, Field Study. It's beautiful! She was a a teacher at Fancy Tiger for a day and taught a quilt block class and a handbag class.

I took the feather quilt block class which is her latest and greatest quilt pattern design, the "Feather Bed Quilt". I was so pleased to get a chance to sew with her and be a student, for once. Anna is so easy-going and and an incredible artist! What an inspiration; she always has been. We also have a few things in common and were kind of surprised that, actually, we have a lot of things in common! It was so nice to get to know her.

I've decided to make two Feather Bed Quilts, one for each of my boys who share a room, just like Anna's boys! I'm working on the first quilt now and am really enjoying how it's coming together! Anna helped me with the combination of fabrics for the background and they're looking good. I've been taking lots of pictures and have come up with some tips for quick and careful construction. You can count on a blog post all about the process soon.
One of my feather blocks.
So, are you ready to make your own amazing feathers? The great thing about the feather pattern is that you can use it to make a quilt; to embellish a garment or home dec project; or in your own creative project. Did I tell you Anna's offering the feather pattern for free on her website! Go find it and start sewing! I'd love to see how you are using the feather pattern so don't forget to show me!


No comments:

Post a Comment