Friday, November 15, 2013

HANDMADE: Halloween Costumes, October 2013

Since Halloween (All Hallow's Eve) is the eve of All Saints Day, our school requests that the kids dress up in a costume that represents a saint or angel. JP was Saint Juan Diego. (His older sisters went on field trips that day so they didn't wear saint costumes.)


For the Saint Juan Diego costume he wore: karate pants, a white shirt, and a tilma (cape) with a drawing of the Virgen of Guadalupe that he drew himself. I made the tilma from a 1/2 yard of fabric. I cut a placket for the neckhole in the center of the 1/2 yard and overlocked the raw edges along the outside. We also hot-glued silk roses to the tilma.

For trick-or-treating, there was a mechanic (I called him "Mister Mechanic-o"), a construction worker, a 1950's sock hop girl, and Shirley Temple.

I didn't have much time or focus for sewing costumes this year. The kids were all okay with putting something together with what we already had or what we could find at the thrift store. I did make the jumpsuit for Mister Mechanic-o because it has been on my to-sew list since last spring when I found a vintage sewing pattern for it. The poodle skirt, the sailor girl jumpsuit, and the construction worker vest were thrift store finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment